Re: [Gimp-user] Question about the new sliders

On Wed, 2012-12-05 at 13:46 -0700, Gary Aitken wrote:
On 12/05/12 13:12, Liam R E Quin wrote:

I don't think so.  In the case of the paintbrush size, what is the max value?

The maximum value is 10,000. However, since your slider is probably less
than 10,000 pixels wide, the approach taken seems to have been to use
1,000 as the maximum settable within the slider, but to let you continue
dragging (or edit the number, or use the tiny increment button).

It is certainly not reached at the right boundary of the size slider, where it
is ~1000.  I can drag clear outside the slider to the right edge of the display
and get it up to ~9500.

Right.

The OP was requesting a manner in which to get integral values, which I
think is the main frustration.

Yes, you can't do that this way.

I admit I usually use editable brushes, which are limited to square,
diamond, circle, triangle, etc., and I have keys bound to
increment-by-10, increment-by-1, and the same for decrement.

I think wanting integer-only brush sizes would be an enhancement
request, although I'm not sure I understand the motivation: scaling by a
non-integral amount sometimes gives better results. But maybe integral
brush sizes is just a thing I happen never to have wanted :)

[...]
From what you've described as the formula, I would say it may be mostly
behaving as intended, modulo the max value issue and modulo the where is
it supposed to be clamped on the right boundary issue.

I think this is a feature and not a bug.

BTW you've probably already seen I may have jumped the gun and filed a
minor bug on this.  My apologies.
No need to apologise, but you might want to revisit the bug description
and revise it if appropriate (I didn't check).

Could be a full moon thing, as I had a horse magically appear on the wrong
side of a fence today.  But I doubt it ;-)

:-)

Liam

The barefoot typographer - http://www.holoweb.net/~liam/