[Gimp-user] Save, Save As and Export separated?

Hi Gimpers

I only recently upgraded to 2.8 from 2.6 and was wondering if I am the only one missing the option to edit the file extension in the SAVE form which basically allowed you to Save, Save Copy, Save As or Export to any format from the same form?

I also found it strange that if I now open a JPG file (or drag into GIMP), I can't save changes (to the JPG) directly (it wants to save to native Gimp format), so I again first have to go to Export instead!

I am wondering why this was incorporated, and if it's going to stay, is there a setting I can set to work like I am used to (and find much faster and more flexible)?

Regards
Paul