Re: [Gimp-user] How make an image fade to black

On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 4:28 AM, Caleb Halbrook wrote:
Hello,

I am trying to make my image fade to black on one side.  I have read the
blend tool tutorial in the user manual but all I can get to happen is a
black and white gradient completely covering my image.  I have tried adding
a transparent layer over the image and applying the gradient to it but for
some reason when one side of the image (using the linear mode) starts to get
darker, the other side gets lighter, creating a severely distorted contrast
with the image, plus the fade covers an entire half of the image.

Check the gradient chooser right below opacity slider in the tool
options toolbar for the Blend tool. You need "Foreground to
transparent"

Alexandre Prokoudine
http://libregraphicsworld.org