Re: [Gimp-user] Gimp-2.8_Save and save as bad behavior

Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 21:45:48 +0200
From: ofnuts laposte net
To: gimp-user-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Gimp-2.8_Save and save as bad behavior

On 08/13/2012 09:09 PM, maderios wrote:
On 08/13/2012 09:00 PM, Archie Arevalo wrote:

On Monday 13 August 2012 11:35:38 Ken Warner wrote:

> "But, continuing to *argue* here is fruitless."

> This is most certainly and sadly true.

How about looking at it this way...

We see the reasons behind the change

May you explain here the reasons of the change concerning save and save as ?

Before:

- Creates complex images with several layers, paths, masks
- Wants a PNG to show Mr Customer
- Does Save as... PNG
- Exits -> lost the last changes in layers, paths, masks

So somewhere you need some way to tell Gimp that when you save as PNG  (or JPG/GIF/TIIF) you aren't really saving.

Now:
- Creates complex images with several layers, paths, masks
- Wants a PNG to show Mr Customer
- Does Export as... PNG
- Exits -> Gimp complains image not saved -> No loss of layers, paths, masks

This comparison of GIMP 2.6 and 2.8 demonstrates one of the reasons why the save/export distinction was made in the first place.  If you're working on a multilayer XCF composition and use the "Save" command on a non-XCF (e.g. PNG) format, then:

- GIMP doesn't warn you about unsaved changes when you try to exit.
- Further invocations of the "Save" command target the PNG file, not your original XCF.  (You should have used the "Save a Copy" command instead of "Save", but I guess nobody ever uses that).  You have to manually "Save As" on the XCF filename again.

The most consistent way of solving the issue was to separate XCF and standard file formats into separate commands.  Now I am not entirely happy with it - over half my work in GIMP currently involves writing to standard image files so I definitely would like to see an "Export/cancel" warning instead of just a warning if you try to type in a non-XCF filename, and I still think "Save a Copy" should be merged as part of the "Export" command since the only (user-visible) difference between them is the type of file format they write to (neither of them cleans the image status or changes the filename associated with the image).  But I am also familiar enough with the whole "project" concept to know when I should keep a workfile handy so I can come back and work on it later.

Another thing that I would like to see, however, is a confirmation warning if you try to use the Overwrite command on a JPEG file; lossy compression and all that....

-- Stratadrake
strata_ranger hotmail com