Re: [Gimp-user] Gimp-2.8_Save and save as bad behavior

On 08/11/2012 10:59 PM, Michael Schumacher wrote:
On 11.08.2012 22:51, maderios wrote:

Hi
No repetitive task (happily !). I create images. It's just art... Ex, I
need to edit and save many versions of the same image. I use different
format, png, xcf, jpeg. That's why Gimp has become so complicated for me
to use, compared to 2.6....

But that would seem to be something the current systems is good for:

- export any intermediate state to a different file and format
- save in xcf to continue working on the image at a later time

This does not happen exactly like your description.
I posted this message on Debian list:

Save= save the same file (same name) after modifying this file
Ex1: I open house.png, I change contrast, luminosity then I save it
I use only one key to do it: "s"
It takes 1/5 second

Save as= save this file with another name, another extension
Ex2: I open house.png, I change contrast, luminosity, I delete some details I don't like with rubber then save it under another name like house-2 because it's a different version.
I use only one key to save it under "house-2.png": "u"
Ex3: I open house.png. I need .xcf version of this file to build a new image with layers, etc.
I use only one key to save it under "house.xcf": "u"

Very quick and simple....

For me, "export" word is useless and confusing. Export to what? To jpeg, png, xcf, tiff ? It depends on the file where you start.
You could start with a jpeg and want to export to .xcf, or the contrary....
"Save as" function is clear: only one key to use and you change only the extension or file name. It's the gimp-2.6 behavior.
Regards