Re: [Gimp-user] 2.8 rc1 on XP

The problem appears to be unrelated to ufraw.
I've removed all versions/relics of gimp and ufraw that I can find:
  uninstall, plus remove directories
  remove registry entries
  reboot
Are there particular .dlls or anything else I need to remove that the uninstall process might leave around that would cause trouble, such as .dlls? I've searched specifically for bzip2.dll, and there is a copy associated with another program in a program-specific directory (\Program Files\EASEUS) unrelated to gimp.

When I run the install (using normal install, although custom fails as well), it appears to install correctly.
However:
It does not create a desktop shortcut (Should it, in the default install?)
  It creates only a single entry in the start menu, labelled "GIMP 2".
    In particular, no subitems, such as uninstall  (should it?)

A possible issue -- this is running booted from an "F:" drive, with no "C:" or "D:" drive on the machine.

Reinstalling GIMP 2.7.5 works fine:
  creates a desktop shortcut
  creates a start menu item with three subitems
   Gimp-2.7.5, Uninstall, Website
  loads and runs fine
I don't know how closely the 2.8 rc1 install should mirror 2.7.5

Thanks for any insights...

Gary