Re: [Gimp-user] Crash

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 4:06 PM, Chris Mohler <cr33dog gmail com> wrote:

Personally, after a couple of hours or so of work (in any graphics
program), I usually do a File->Save As and append a number to the
filename.  So if I start a project, I'll save it as something like
"my_project_01.xcf", then after a while save as "my_project_02.xcf" -
that way even if I close or crash GIMP I have a series of 'snapshots'
of the project I can go back to if needed.  This has saved me from
disaster more than once - I've seen everything from lightning strikes
to pets eating power cords, not to mention pilot error ;)

Hah! That reminds me of the typical workflow for Photoshop 4 (anyone
remember 1998?). It only had a single undo level, so you had to save
like that after every single edit if you wanted to be able to go back
a reasonable number of steps.

I'd say the workflow you describe is probably one of the best ones to
adopt when working on any large graphic project. That's how all the
employees (including myself) did it when I worked for a multimedia
company, and it saved my ass more than once.

--
Frank Gore
www.ProjectPontiac.com