Re: [Gimp-gui] GIMP shows a thumbnail in taskbar rather than its icon

Hi,

On 2015-10-23 19:10, Michael Natterer wrote:
Hi,

On 2015-10-23 00:27, Michael Natterer wrote:
> For the record,
>
> GNOME also uses the icon, both in alt-tab view and in the taskbar
> that some people claim doesn't exist, or is it a sidebar? Anyway,
> the thing that appears in overview mode.

Some people seem to understand opposite things from what you are
saying.
Are you saying GNOME uses the Wilber icon, or that it uses the
thumbnail
in place of an icon?
Because I also use GNOME 3 (3.16.2) and I never saw any thumbnail-
icons
of GIMP, whether in alt-tab or in the dock in the overview.

I meant the thumbnail, sorry.

Really? Which version of GNOME? Do you use any plugin? Aryeom and I both have been using GNOME for the last 3 months and we don't see the thumbnail. Even deactivating all my plugins, so bare GNOME 3.16, I have no thumbnail as GIMP icon.

My general opinion about this is that this looks like the rare
case where a prefs setting makes sense:

Well this is an option indeed. I honestly would really like to see the preferences dialog slim down. But if we can't find any other alternative, I guess it can do.

There seem to be two classes of desktop enviromnents: those which show
a panel/taskbar/foo icon per window, and these use the thumbnail; and
those which show an icon per application, and these use the icon.

Then there is two types of users: those who find the thumbnail weird,
and those who find it helpful.

I think a simple "Use Image Thumbnail as Window Icon" boolean toggle
should IMO work just fine, but we definitely should

1. render the thumbnail always as a square (padded with transparency)
   because at least GNOME distorts the thumbnail to be a square.

KDE did squish the icon in a very ugly way too, and XFCE did some very strange (and ugly as well) adding color to the bottom. See my screenshots: http://gui.gimp.org/index.php/Software_Icon_workgroup

2. overlay a wilber icon if we render a thumbnail to make the window
   icon recognizable as "GIMP Window".

This was actually more the solution I was thinking about lately. The problem is that the thumbnail is so small that adding a Wilber atop of it, will the Wilber still be recognizable? Or if we like add some transparency or something to make the Wilber stand out, then will the thumbnail actually be recognizable now?

Also if we manage to find a good solution where both Wilber and the thumbnail look good, why would we bother with adding a checkbox in preferences? As I say, I think preferences are too full of choices and as a user I end up nearly never changing things there and just be annoyed because by stuff I don't remember can be changed. Having better default is a much better solution to me.

Jehan

--Mitch

Jehan