Re: [Gimp-gui] GIMP shows a thumbnail in taskbar rather than its icon

Hi,

On 2015-10-22 22:45, Michael Schumacher wrote:
On 10/22/2015 04:02 PM, Jehan wrote:

At this point, I believe that the whole feature should be dropped,
whatever mode one is in.
If anyone likes the feature (we have not had 1 single positive feedback
until now), please make yourself heard now.

Maybe it's just me, but I am missing a discussion of various situations
a user might find themselves in on their systems, when they have to
navigate to a specific image (or a few specific images) they have opened
in GIMP.

Well… isn't the discussion you are "missing" exactly what we are doing right now? Aren't we gathering the various situations in the various OS/desktops/WM with various users using one or the other window mode right now?…

I'm using Xfce and Windows 7, and I rely on the thumbnails to find the
images I'm looking for.

Ok, I just tested XFCE (http://gui.gimp.org/index.php/Image:Xfce-alt-tab-gimp.jpg). It indeed seems the only OS/desktop tested until now with a concept of taskbar using the generated thumbnail-icons (well Windows too according to the bug report, though the person under Windows 7 who tested for me this morning and sent me my screenshot had no thumbnail in the taskbar, so I'm a little lost here). The alt-tab also uses it, which is redundant with XFCE own thumbnailing in alt-tab.

So yes the taskbar in XFCE (and Win?) seems one of the only case up to now where the thumbnail seems useful.

Jehan

P.S.
GNOME abandoning the taskbar concept is one of my reasons to not use
that DE anymore.