Re: [Gimp-gui] GIMP shows a thumbnail in taskbar rather than its icon

Hi,

On 2015-10-21 20:40, Elle Stone wrote:
On 10/21/2015 02:08 PM, Jehan wrote:

Are there any multi-window mode users here who could tell us if they
actually find useful/annoying/neutral to have a generated thumbnail-icon
instead of Wilber?

I use MWM (well, everyone probably knows that by now :) ).

I use IceWM as my "desktop". There's a narrow taskbar along the
bottom. It shows the Wilbur icon and some identifying text ("Toolbox",
the first few letters of the image name, etc) when GIMP is running.

I've never seen a generated thumbnail, and if one were to appear it
would be too small to be of any use.

Like GNOME then.

I usually have a lot of programs running at once, with icons on the
taskbar. Usually there are so many programs running that I don't
actually see any identifying text. So I depend on seeing the Wilbur
icon to know which windows are GIMP windows.

If the Wilbur icon were replace with generated thumbnails, I'd
probably have a difficult time seeing at a glance which windows belong
to GIMP, and that would be annoying.

In the wiki, there are 2 screenshots of desktop/WMs, KDE and Openbox, which use the generated thumbnail-icon: http://gui.gimp.org/index.php/Software_Icon_workgroup
So you can have an idea of how well it represents an image.

My feeling on the topic is that it looks actually helpful if you have nearly only GIMP opened (or very few other software windows) and that your desktop/WM show the toolbox and the docks (as it is apparently your case).

But when you have a lot of windows opened, this becomes a nuisance. Moreover when the toolbox/docks are not presented in the list of windows (this is the case in KDE/GNOME/Cinnamon by default now, at least in my tests), the usefulness of showing thumbnails to separate docks from image windows is lessened too. You'd likely prefer to have the Wilber icon to separate your GIMP image windows from other programs (and bigger thumbnails generated by your desktop are a good plus as well).

Thanks for your feedback.
Nobody else?

Jehan

Elle