Re: [Gimp-gui] Toolbox Groups

On 2015-10-15 01:51, Andrew Pullins wrote:
To improve user experience I propose toolbox groups. Attached is an
image showing how this could be done. In Preferences > Toolbox there

Jehan writes:
This is an interesting idea, but I wonder if we can't do better than this.
It does not feel that efficient to me to basically have submenus on tools.

I didn't entirely understand how the tools would be grouped and how
the groups would look, but I like the idea of "Toolbox groups" and
made me think of another way we could group tools.

What if you could have more than one Toolbox arrangement? For
instance, sometimes I'm primarily editing photos, and most of what
I'm doing involves Crop, Scale, Brightness/Contrast/Curves, Rotate,
maybe Clone and Smudge and Dodge/Burn, and selection tools. I don't
need any drawing tools. Other times I'm drawing, and I need the
Paintbrush, Text, Move, Smudge, Paths etc.

What if I could have multiple toolbox arrangements? If I'm drawing,
I see only the tools I need for that; if I'm photo editing, I see
only those tools. And there's a Show All version for when I'm doing
something unusual or learning new skills.

To create a new toolbox, a new window comes up, I can name it and
then drag tools from the "Show All" toolbox into the new window.
(Ideally I can also choose the location of each tool in the new toolbox.)

Switching between toolboxes could be like setting tool option
presets (though I'd hope it would be a bit clearer than that: I've
lost presets more than once because of confusing the "Save new
preset" and "Restore preset" buttons, which are right next to each
other and have almost identical looking menus.)

I like Andrew's idea of spacers too, and of generally being able to
choose where things go in the toolbox. That would help in grouping
tools and telling tools apart. Like fuzzy select and the color
picker: I can never remember which icon is which, but if fuzzy
select was clearly grouped with the selection tools and the color
picker was somewhere else, far away from fuzzy select, it would be a
lot easier to tell them apart. Same with clone and perspective clone,
or Move and Alignment.

        ...Akkana