[Gimp-gui] Toolbox Groups

Feature Request, attachment 313344

#User Story

As a user with a small vertical screen estate my toolbox pushes the foreground & background color, active brush, pattern & gradient, and active image down past the window.  Depending on the screen size some of the tools even get pushed down. To fix this I have to make the tool box wider to fit more tools in the toolbox and even take away tools. A wider tool box takes up room on my canvas which is the most important dialog.

#Details

To improve user experience I propose toolbox groups. Attached is an image showing how this could be done. In Preferences > Toolbox there would be a new folder button to add folder groups. Use the up and down arrows or Drag tool into folders to add them to groups.  when tools are selected they are displayed at the top of the tool group(in the Toolbox not the group menu). This feature would go nicely with the Toolbox Spacer feature request.

#Arguments against

One may argue this is just copying off of Photoshop and that we should not copy from them just for the sake of copying especially proprietary software. This is true Photoshop do group their tools like this.

#Arguments for

You should also not refuse to implement an idea because some other app has this feature because it is proprietary and just to remain different. This feature will improve user experience there for is a good idea and should be implemented.

#Suggested Default Groups

This could be just a feature to give users more control over GIMP. But if we decide to go and add some groups to GIMP by default here are some suggestions.

Group
* Rectangle Select
* Ellipse Select

Group
* Free Select
* Scissors Select
* Foreground Select

Group
* Fuzzy Select
* Select by Color

Group
* Unified Transform
* Rotate Tool
* Scale Tool
* Shear Tool
* Perspective Tool
* Flip Tool
* Cage Transform

Group
* Bucket Fill
* Blend Tool

Group
* Pintbrush
* Pencil Tool
* Airbrush Tool
* Ink Tool

Group
* Clone Tool
* Seamless Clone
* Healing Tool
* Perspective Tool

Group
* Blur / Sharpen Tool
* Smudge Tool
* Dodge / Burn Tool

This could even give more room for the tools that are not shown by default.

Group
* Color Balance
* Hue-Saturation Tool
* Colorize Tool
* Brightness/Contrast Tool
* Threshold Tool
* Levels Tool
* Curves Tool
* Posterize Tool

Group
* GEGL Tool
* Option Tool
--
Jesus is my Lord and Savior. Praise be unto God for giving us a way to live with him.