Re: [Gimp-developer] GIMP development- What's the point?

While I am not a Gimp developer, I've been a keen user for many years. Same
goes for Inkscape. After having to do some native work on iOS, I started
working on Macs. In addition new laptop offerings kept making life as a
linux user harder and harder. Touch screen, sexy new form factors, pens? At
the same time, doing linuxy things on Macs became easier and easier, to the
point that I know do most development on Macs, deploying on Linux where
approriate.

I've waited years for Gimp and Inkscape to support Macs, but sadly they
still don't. They barely "run", but they aren't usable. I wrote a blog post
with the details:

https://medium.com/@kjeldahl/gimp-and-inkscape-on-retina-macs-do-not-work-9601c3052e86#.i3ys9rmhn

So to your question, what's the point?

IMHO, the point is that Gimp and Inkscape are excellent FREE offerings
within their genres. Unfortunately, neither works on Macs (I know little
about Windows). Until they support Macs (and possibly Windows), Gimp and
Inkscape usage will be limited to current Linux users. Yes, I'm aware of
the underlying technical reasons WHY support is poor, but that doesn't
change the fact that neither Gimp or Inkscape has any chance as becoming a
real offering outside of the Linux user base, and people not using Linux
will keep asking that question. :-)

Thanks,

Marius K.