Re: [Gimp-developer] Gitlab as a replacement for registry.gimp.org

Hi,

On Mon, Apr 4, 2016 at 3:00 AM, Akkana Peck <akkana shallowsky com> wrote:
Just agreeing with a few of Ofnuts' points:

Ofnuts writes:
Author:
- communications with users: forum, etc. Mail notification necessary

+1. With the current setup, I remember going to a page I'd made for
one of my plug-ins and discovering there was a question there from
four years earlier that I'd had no idea about.

- ability to share/transmit ownership

Good one!

- I don't think this system should be a place to maintain/share the source
code. We could however enforce a FOSS/CC discipline and require the source
files to be provided (for some assets, this could mean the original XCF/SVG
file...)

I like the experiments Pat has been doing with making links inside a
repo that link to other repos. If the GIMP plugin repository can
include files from a developer's site on github or wherever,

This experiment was about a perfectly hand-curated small set of
plugins. I completely understand that this is also very interesting.
But Pat does not need me to do this. If that is what people have in
mind, I won't be onboard. Don't get me wrong. This is still very cool,
I support the project and I could help from time to time. But this is
not as high a priority for me as other things. And that's a completely
different project to the one I am talking about.

I am talking about a plugin management system, with a user side
(within GIMP, to be able to browse hundreds of plugins,
install/uninstall them, automatic update when there are new versions…)
and a developer side (a way to upload their plugins, which can be as
basic as uploading a zip of their code, up to fancy GIMP-hosted
repositories).
The curation is not contradictory to my idea and could be used within
the bigger plugin management system (there could be a small set of
GIMP team-maintained plugins, or team picks, and "approved" plugins,
etc.), but this curation cannot be the technical base of the whole
system.

Because no, using a central git repository with submodules to
user-maintained repositories inside it is not scaling up! I don't see
at all actually how submodules could be the base of anything for a
plugin management system.

that solves the problem of developers who are actively improving
a plugin but forget that they also need to update the version on
GIMP's repository.

No, setting a submodule for a given third-party repository does not
magically give you write access to this repository (and fortunately!
uhuh). You'd still have to fork if you want to improve the code of a
given repository when the original author is not responding. Once
again, this is manual curation.

User:
- straightforward, no-questions-asked downloads
- easy registration for forums
- semi-anonymous use of forums (guest mode without registration, but with
some more hurdles such as captchas)

Why would we have forums? We are talking about a plugin system. We
could have comments on plugins, why not. And *if: we decided to have a
source hosting (gitlab or other), then obviously bug reports. But
that's it.

Now if people want generic official forums (I know I don't, we already
have mailing lists, enough for me), that's a completely different
discussion.

- search capabilities

- browse capabilities, by category or keyword: browsing all the
  plugins in the color category isn't the same as searching for
  everything that has the word "color" anywhere in the description,
  a major problem with the previous plug-in repository. And maybe