Re: [Gimp-developer] Create New Layer Button

Elle, to answer your question, I'm a graphic designer mainly, but I use
photography as a graphic design tool. I would consider myself a decent
photographer, but I'm much better at photo-editing than I am at
photography, to be perfectly honest. :) From me, you would get a variety of
workflows, which range from focus-stacking and layer duplication with layer
mode filters and masks for non-destructive editing.

I would be very pleased to see your workflow as well, as it may help
improve mine. It's always those one of two things that you don't think of,
that just save you ages.

For example, in product photography, I used to fuzzy-select (magic wand in
PS) the white space and shadow areas, and erase to white as close as I
could get to the shadow area to maintain a clean transition, and then clean
up the shadows a bit. These days, I use fuzzy select (or the curves tool
for white object on white background, since fuzzy select doesn't work as
well in these situations), then selection-to-mask (inverted), and erase the
mask outward from the base of the object until I have as much shadow as I
want. This ensures a smooth transition without any extra clean up, and
allows  much greater control over the image in a non-destructive way that
only requires a few more button clicks, and is so much less of a
pain-in-the-ass, it's ridiculous.

I will do a video of my various workflows, and make UI suggestions based on
each of them, if that will help the team.

Let me know if this is something that would be useful.

On Sun, Mar 29, 2015 at 10:32 PM, Elle Stone <ellestone ninedegreesbelow com