Re: [Gimp-developer] Create New Layer Button

On 03/26/2015 08:16 PM, Ofnuts wrote:
It was also not so obvious to some more advanced users :) let's face it,
in a software with the breadth of Gimp, everyone is going to overlook
some feature.
+1.

For example, I looked for a long time for a way to save a selection as a channel - it's right there on the selection menu, but I didn't find that option until reading one of Pat David's excellent tutorials.

And anyway you can't have all these clever little things
jump in your face when you start using the application, that would be
information overload. Better find/learn about them little by little when
the need arises.
+1.

I can think of three different groups of users for "when the need arises":

1. People who are learning about image editing at the same time that they are learning to use GIMP.

2. People who are very experienced at using GIMP, and still don't know where all the shortcuts and tools are hiding (that they would use if they knew about them, nobody uses everything GIMP provides).

3. People who are very experienced at editing images using other software, who:

* Already know how to use much of what GIMP offers, but might not have an easy time finding where GIMP stores the equivalent tools and options.

* Of course have no clue about GIMP algorithms and tools that *aren't* available in whatever software they might have used in the past.

Anyone have any idea how many current GIMP users fall into the third category? I'm an ex-PhotoShop user (and before that Corel software). I found using GIMP to be pretty intuitively obvious, except I'm still discovering basic stuff like "how do I save a selection as a channel".