Re: [Gimp-developer] Create New Layer Button

El sáb, 28-03-2015 a las 20:31 +0100, Michael Schumacher escribió:

On 03/28/2015 07:54 PM, Gez wrote:

I'm baffled to learn that the default used to be creating a new
transparent layer but it was changed back because people didn't find it,
pretty much the same way they are not finding that alt+click creates a
new transparent layer now.

It is Shift+Click, and it doesn't create a transparent layer, but one
with the default values or last values used in the dialog.

Is it really a good idea to pop up in front of every user face a complex
dialog just because some other users are lazy enough to not read the
documentation, the tooltips or the status bar not even once?

Um...

Haha, double fail!

Even though I mixed up the keystroke (which I do use everyday, but my
memory betrayed me at the moment of writing it down) and described its
function wrong, the question remains.
Popping up that dialog with several options is usually NOT what the user
needs, and it interrupts the workflow a bit.
My point was that, if it's done for the sake of discoverability, the
existence of a tooltip listing the alternate functions with modifier
keys should be enough.
I have the habit of checking the tooltips and status bar everytime I use
a new tool, and when I teach other people to use GIMP and other free
software packages I always point them to check there for hints about how
to use each tool.
As I said before, I'm not even interested in having this changed. It's
the argument of "discoverability" something that I find arguable.

That being said, I think Tobias' idea is a good solution which provides
both an uninterrupted workflow and an easily discoverable set of
alternate functions.

Gez