Re: [Gimp-developer] Useability enhancement request: unified/expanded file export dialog

On 03/11/2015 05:05 PM, Ofnuts wrote:
For current Gimp there is the "Save for Web" plug-in that lets you
crop/scale the image. However it's not uncommon to do a little bit of
sharpening after a downscale, or maybe add some watermark... Better take
the habit to use Image>Duplicate. This creates an "untitled" image to
there is little risk to overwrite the original image with a scaled down
version(*).

True, usually resizing is followed by adding some sharpening and such. I completely overlooked Image->Duplicate, so thanks! (not the first "already there in plain sight" GIMP feature that I've overlooked).

(*) in the "belt-cum-suspenders" series, shouldn't Gimp issue a warning
when saving an image if it detects that the image has been scaled
down/cropped? This is another case of potential accidental loss of data.
**ducks for cover**

Please not! unless there is a way to permanently dismiss the warning.

It seems to me that all such "save the user from herself" warnings should be permanently dismissable by the user.

Such warnings are like training wheels on a 10-speed bicycle - maybe OK for learning to keep the bicycle from falling over (but you really can learn to ride without training wheels).

Nobody wants training wheels permanently welded to their bicycle because training wheels seriously impede anyone who already knows how to ride a bicycle.

Consider the question about whether the user is sure s/he wants to erase the history. That repeatedly-asked question is very annoying to anyone working on a large layer stack with lots of edits, because the answer is always "Yes, erase the history".

Elle