Re: [Gimp-developer] List of dependencies (versions and configuration options) for GIMP on Windows

As much fun as I'm sure you're all having debugging this, I think I've
seen this before. I already fixed this with my windows nightlies
(actually, scl reported it, so I guess he forgot about that).

There are two potential issues:
  1. fontconfig includes an absolute path to its config directory, so
when you move the files to a windows system it cannot find them.

  2. The config files themselves are symlinks, which may cause them to
not exist on windows, depending on how the files are packaged.

The solutions:
  1. Modify etc/fonts/fonts.conf to remove the absolute path and
replace it with a relative one (it should just say "conf.d", not
long/path/and/then/conf.d). I compile fontconfig with this patch:
https://git.gnome.org/browse/gimp/tree/build/windows/jhbuild/patches/fontconfig-fix-config-dir.patch
You can achieve the same effect by modifying the config files by hand.

  2. Ensure the files in etc/fonts/conf.d/ exist. If not, copy the
files from share/fontconfig/conf.avail into that folder.

At the time I fixed this, Jernej's builds did not exhibit the problem
because they used an older version of fontconfig. I did not report
this upstream because it's a configuration issue, but now that I think
about it, the defaults should perhaps be changed on windows (or maybe
when cross compiling).