Re: [Gimp-developer] GIMP and wmii

Hello,

On Mon, 18 Mar 2013 21:38:09 -0400
Liam R E Quin <liam holoweb net> wrote:

I'm investigating an issue with running GIMP later than 2.6 under
wmii window manager. The issue occurs when GIMP is being run in the
stacked tiling mode, when inactive windows are collapsed to their
titlebars only, and the active one is maximised to the rest of the
column (see here, for example:
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/9492/nntex.png).

If there's a GIMP visible in that screenshot I'm afraid it's not
obvious to me.

No, there's no GIMP there, I did link that screenshot just to
demonstrate the stacked layout: if you look at that, you may notice
some of the windows are collapsed. I can't currently reproduce this
layout with GIMP running for aforementioned reasons.

It might be from your prose that running gimp in "single window mode"
would address your problems, but I'm not certain, never having come
across wmii before (is it related to wm2? doesn't look like it).

No, it doesn't. I don't like single window mode, it doesn't go well
with my workflow. Also, last time I tried it has some issues, so it's
way too early for it yet.

P.S. We've also tried to debug the issue from the WM side; the
author said it doesn't seem like a problem in the WM but in GIMP. I
also think that's the case; also, this problem didn't exist in 2.6
and previous versions, so obviously something's changed in GIMP
code right after.

I take it that this is in some sort of GNU/Linux operating environment
and that you're using the GIMP 2.6 from the Linux distribution's
package manager. If so, please let us know *exactly* which versions
of GIMP you tried and exactly where you got them, along with the wmii
version, the Linux distribution, and the version.

No, I'm talking about versions of GIMP starting from 2.7.*,
including GIMP 2.8.0 and 2.8.4. Basically, it seems to me, the single
window mode introduction has broken the multiple window mode. It
doesn't matter which exactly versions, they behave the same way. I have
tried different versions, and even on clean installation of Debian
wheezy it behaves the same way. The only thing which could be of some
importance is GTK+ version, it's 2.24.13 currently, but I've tried
previously with other 2.24.* versions with same effect.

The primary testing platform for GIMP 2.6 was Debian GNU/Linux with
GNOME 2. Are you running gnome-session and using wmii as your GNOME
Window Manager?

No, I don't run GNOME. It's just wmii.

--
WBR, Andrew