[Gimp-developer] updating the raw images import to handle partial images

Hi,

Currently(2.9.1), if I open a 'Raw image', and have happened to scroll
past the end of the file, when I try to open it, I'm presented with a
white bitmap( and I see 'fread failed' in the console if I have it
open).

I'd like to change this in the following ways:
    A)gimp will import as many pixels file disk as possible, and fill
the remaining pixels with the background of the import preview
    B)gimp should directly tell the user if this goes wrong -
currently a user without a console just gets a white image.

I'm happy to implement these, and wanted to check if there was any
guidance on the specifics before I started.

-Richard