Re: [Gimp-developer] unified transform tool

On 02/22/2013 01:41 PM, peter sikking wrote:
actually next month I am teaching interaction again and will give
my students the exercise ‘precision rotate and precision perspective
one or two tools?’ including of course redesigning the tools.

I will need some essential scenarios for that, beyond the obvious
photo horizon correction and getting verticals vertical. it must be
more complicated and the tool(s) should not end up as 2-trick pony(s).

A frequent use case is aligning two objects on two different layers, which involves simultaneous scale and rotation of one of the objects... And where you discover quickly why scaling and rotation should both have an arbitrary (and identical) center.

In current Gimp the only practical way of doing this is to use the exact-aligner script (because every rotation/scaling introduces some blur so you want to do it in one single operation, so step-wise scale/rotate is out of the question).