Re: [Gimp-developer] Change Request: Redesign the "Color Balance" UI

On Sun, 2013-02-10 at 19:20 -0300, Guillermo Espertino (Gez) wrote:
> El 10/02/13 17:42, Timo Witte escribiÃ:
>
> >> Boosting the color balance tool to add this new stuff sounds like a
> >> really cool GSoC project, especially now that making GIMP suitable for
> >> VFX work became one of the targets.
> > Does GIMP offer GSoC projects? Would this "small" task also be a GGSoC
> > project?
>
> I don't think it's a "small" task if the project involves turning the
> current color balance into a flexible and industry-grade tool.
> That would involve not only tweaking the UI but also making the output
> of the tool comply the ASC-CDL standard and storing and retrieving those
> presets.

I suppose you mean this page and its trivial formula?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASC_CDL

If not already implemented, doing the math as gegl op looks most trivial
to me, I guess not more than one day if everything goes wrong.

Then there is a settings object for GIMP, featuring the three
mentioned slope, offset and power, can happen in half a day.

The rest is the UI, everything else (loading, saving, whatnot)
is handled generically by GIMP.

I don't think this is the size of a GSoC project, unless it
includes turning the *entire* "Color" menu into a state-of-
the art thing, which would mean the above work a couple of
times.

Regards,
--Mitch