Re: [Gimp-developer] pygtk automake problem

It should install into pygtk/2.0; that is normal. The 2.0 indicates
that it is API/ABI compatible with pygtk 2.0. As long as there are no
backwards-incompatible changes, the directory remains 2.0, even for
version 2.4.

Are you on linux? If you are, then the only things you should really
need to build yourself are babl, gegl, and gimp. Install your distro's
packages for everything else, and you should be good to go. If you
have issues with python, then you may need to do this before running
gimp's autogen.sh:

export PYTHON="/usr/bin/python2"

Good luck.