[Gimp-developer] 2GB limit on Resource Consumption: Tile cache size

While making changes to "Edit/Preferences/Environment, Resource
Consumption: Tile cache size", I noticed a warning when I tried to
increase the cache size to 2 gigabytes, or 2048 megabytes (terminal
output, Gimp 2.9, started from the command line):

(gimp-2.9:3518): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: value "-2147483648" of type
`gint' is invalid or out of range for property `cache-size' of type
`gint'

If I set the cache size to 2047 megabytes, there is no warning. If I
set the cache size to more than 2048 megabytes, the
'GLib-GObject-WARNING **: value' gets correspondingly larger.

I only have 4 GB of ram on my computer, but I have successfully given
more than 2GB to other image editing programs. A lot of people have
computers with way more than 4GB of ram. Would it make any practical
difference to be able to use more than 2GB of ram for the tile cache
when using Gimp? It seems odd to be limited to less than 2GB for the
tile cache size, solely because the type is gint.

Kindest regards,
Elle Stone

--
http://ninedegreesbelow.com
Articles and tutorials on open source digital imaging and photography