Re: [Gimp-developer] [Gimp-user] [Request] Do not confirm closing if unsaved image was exported/overwrited ?

This sounds to me like a bug - possibly a specification error?

Certainly adds some possibly useful context to the longlasting (and unfortunately overly acrimonious) dispute about the save-export behavior in 2.8.

In my experience, it is extremely difficult to apprehend all the varieties of ways people like to use complex tools, especially in a world environment enamored with the famous Steve Jobs aphorism - "things should 'just work'" - and adapting - even when necessary - is uncomfortable, and often painful.

  -- Burnie

On 09/16/2012 08:10 AM, Richard Gitschlag wrote:

> From: liam holoweb net
> To: ofnuts laposte net
> Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2012 20:23:36 -0400
> CC: gimp-user-list gnome org
> Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] [Request] Do not confirm closing if unsaved image was exported/overwrited ?
>
> On Sat, 2012-09-15 at 23:12 +0200, Ofnuts wrote:
> > [...] saving as XCF
> > "by accident" may make you lose some time, but will never make you lose
> > data, because you can always save the JPG again from the XCF.
>
> This isn't always true.
>
> For example, after working on a photograph I scale it down e.g. to 600
> pixels across, and export a jpeg. If at that point I save the xcf file,
> I will lose data, because xcf does not store the undo history.
>
> Yes, I could use ImageMagick to scale the image, but (1) I do want to
> see the jpeg preview, as it often needs some extra work in curves or
> sharpen, and (2) I'm already in gimp :)
>
> Liam
>
> --
> Liam Quin - XML Activity Lead, W3C, http://www.w3.org/People/Quin/
> Pictures from old books: http://fromoldbooks.org/
> Ankh: irc.sorcery.net irc.gnome.org freenode/#xml

That is unfortunately true, GIMP has no ability to automatically scale-down the image to a different size as part of the export process. When you hit Save GIMP records everything necessary to recreate the image *as it was when you hit Save*, whether it is the preferred way of storing your overall project file or not. The XCF is not a full version repository logging everything that happened to the image since its creation - I imagine that should be the role of an XCF subformat so that the user has per-file control over whether or not they need that extra information taking up extra hard drive space.

-- Stratadrake
strata_ranger hotmail com