Re: [Gimp-developer] Shape layers for GIMP?

On 09/09/2012 12:24, yahvuu wrote:
Am 08.09.2012 20:02, schrieb Jeremy Morton:
[..] What's taking up the time is going through the following process:

1. Delete previous applied "effects layers".
2. Modify path.
3. Convert path to selection.
4. Fill selection with colour.
5. Apply inner shadow to layer.
6. Apply inner glow to layer.
7. Apply gradient to layer.
8. [etc...]

With a shape layer, assuming it had been set up already with the desired effects, the above steps would change to the following:

1. Modify path.

One of the most important features of future GIMP is to enable the user to "revisit the past". Citing [1]:
     "No matter if it was done five seconds or five months ago, one can recall
     any previous operation applied to this layer and readjust it. "

My understanding is that you will be able to go back in the operations history and just modify the path.
All consequences of this modification will be displayed live. No need to declare special "layer effects"
or special "shape layers".

Well that sounds great, but I don't really see how it's feasible. What if you want to modify an operation 1000 complex edits ago? The CPU is going to have to redo those 1000 edits every time you modify; surely this would become cumbersome very quickly?

--
Best regards,
Jeremy Morton (Jez)