Re: [Gimp-developer] Shape layers for GIMP?

> Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2012 11:34:00 +0100
> From: admin game-point net
> To: gimp-developer-list gnome org; gegl-developer-list gnome org
> Subject: [Gimp-developer] Shape layers for GIMP?
>
> I've looked around and it looks like GIMP doesn't have anything like
> Photoshop's shape layers. Shape layers are really cool because they're
> a path tied to a normal layer whose purpose is simply to ummask that
> normal layer. Photoshop then gives you a live preview of what that
> unmasked layer looks like when the path is closed, and automatically
> updates that preview as you edit the path's nodes. In addition,
> Photoshop offers the option to apply layer effects live (updated each
> time you edit the nodes in the shape layer's path).
>
> Although you can do this in GIMP, you have to do it all manually (create
> path, convert to selection, fill selection) so it's much slower and it
> isn't a "live preview". Are there any plans to introduce something like
> this for GIMP?

There's a slightly faster manual way:  Stroke the path onto a layer mask, this keeps the "shape" of the layer separate from its actual content.  True, you still have no live preview (you have to fill inside/outside of selection with 0% and 100% to set the mask) linked to a path object, but it's non-destructive to the layer's constituent pixels.

-- Stratadrake
strata_ranger hotmail com