Re: [Gimp-developer] Procedure for new patches

Hi,

On Sun, Oct 7, 2012 at 2:13 PM, drawoc <drawoc darkrefraction com> wrote:
> Alexandre: I think you need to check out the branch girin in specific.
> If you cd into an existing gimp checkout you can do something like
> this:
> git remote add gimpgirin git://git.tuxfamily.org/gitroot/gimpgirin/gimp.git
> git fetch --all
> git checkout girin

Indeed. Sorry the main reason is that I use my locale "master" branch
to track the upstream Gimp master, and my locale "girin" to track
mine. As I like to have the same locale and remote name for
simplicity, I ended up pushing only a "girin" branch on my fork.
Anyway all good now. :-)

> Jehan: I think we normally rebase branches around here instead of
> merging, just so you know.
> Btw, since you're using the gimp for animation, you might want to take
> a look at Gimp-GAP.

I saw many references on the web about GAP, so I had a look a few
weeks ago, read and looked a few tutorial and videos, and installed
it. First the last code I could find (on the GIMP plugin registry) was
for Gimp 2.6 3 years ago, along with a Windows binary (we use Linux
distributions). I could compile it nonetheless but the fact it is
obviously unmaintained is not reassuring. And not surprisingly, when
running it, GIMP regularly complains through pop-ups that the plugin
uses some deprecated function, etc.

Second it looked overcomplicated for cases when you want to do boring
stuff on a huge scale with a few images (= do a hundred time the same
thing which is boring and a waste of your time so you automatize).
Like you have a text, you want it to circle around 1000 times, and
change color while doing so; or have a ball jumping around for 10
minutes, etc. That's not what we do.
And in particular, I don't like the way it does it. Like it creates
hundreds of nearly similar xcf files, duplicates layers, and such.
That would be very hard to maintain and work with in a huge project.
Probably nice for making one-time GIF files, then forget about them.
Not that good if each scene of a few seconds implies dozens of xcf
files with several dozens of nearly identical (but sligthly different)
layers.

I may have missed something. But all the tutorial and small tests I
ran was ending the same way.
In other words, I was really not impressed by GAP.

Another issue is that it tries to be an all-in-one solution, whereas
it doesn't do each thing that good. It tries to deal with drawing of
course, but also importing from videos, the sound, sequence editing,
video outputting, etc.

In our current workflow, for extracting images from video data, we use
directly ffmpeg. For the sound, we will be most likely using Audacity
and Ardour on a RT kernel. And for video editing, our current tests
led us to the Blender video editor (kdenlive has limitations which
made it impossible to work with it with more than 2 video channels,
and I have not tested much Cinerella yet).

Once again, if I am wrong and GAP is the ultimate animation tool,
please tell me. :-)

In the meantime, I am actually improving the default animation plugins
available in GIMP upstream repo. I am making so these simple tools
will be all what is necessary to work nicely with GIMP xcf, only for
the drawing part inside a more complete workflow with other tools.
I have done some very nice stuff (partially already in my branch), but
I am not fully done. I plan to make a new bug ticket to propose my
improvements when in a good release test. I will probably make a small
demo along to explain these and post on the list.

> Anyway, it's always good to have more contributers.

:-)

See you soon.

Jehan

>   -- drawoc
>
> On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 8:25 PM, Alexandre Prokoudine
> <alexandre prokoudine gmail com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 5:37 PM, Jehan Pagès <jehan marmottard gmail com> wrote:
>>
>>> As a consequence, I have been working on GIMP code lately, hoping to
>>> fix issues that my animator or I would encounter, and to add new
>>> features. For this, I have set up a public repository at
>>> git://git.tuxfamily.org/gitroot/gimpgirin/gimp.git (branch named