Re: [Gimp-developer] Re : Feedback from an ordinary user

On 11/28/2012 05:12 PM, Mukund Sivaraman wrote:
On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 06:51:56PM +0400, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 5:31 PM, Monty Montgomery wrote:

So please, for the love of god, change the 'fuck you' dialog to
something that doesn't slap the user instead of doing what the user
wants, expects, and the code is perfectly capable of doing.

Could you please for the love of any deity stop overreacting and
pretending like free software developers are personal slaves of users?
As a free software developer yourself surely you don't do everything
people tell you to.

This has been discussed to death already, but given that there are so
many users who cared enough to ask on gimp-developer, can we revisit
the file-saving UI design and provide an option for what-they-want?

There are many users who are asking for the old style saving as an
option.  We hear them out and this discussion which keeps coming back
again and again is a bit annoying, but do they influence us to give
them what they want?

Disagreement is a strong sign of a healthy project, and the fact that
users are protesting strongly is better not taken as an order to do
work for them, but rather as support that they care about GIMP as their
own project, something that they use every day and don't want it to be
taken away from them.

[e.g., I strongly disliked that GNOME3 changed the desktop UI. I got it
for free, but GNOME3 was something different from what I had and wanted
to continue having.  I got it for free, but I was upset that I lost it
- nevermind the fork that has arrived since. I had to switch to a
different desktop which was closer to what I wanted than GNOME3, and
GNOME3 developers could care less, but they lost me though I am not
worth any money to them.]

Though a democratic process is no substitute for a scientific process
(and maybe UI design is scientific, who knows?), in this case we must
pay heed to our users.  UI is very dear to computer users, and
sometimes a perfect way isn't what users want.  No pre-designed
replacement for some 'X' is going to be better than an 'X' that evolved
into what users wanted or were familiar with.  We cannot satisfy
everyone, but we should give some thought to introducing the old
behavior as an option.

Maybe a plugin or a patch can do the job? The Gnome3 devs added extensions support, and afaik some people got something similar to G2 or at least usable for them.

BTW, the Gnome guys have a great plugin installation system, something Gimp lacks... Could such feature be added to version 2.10 or 2.12?

Or maybe a Gimp Plugin Manager will do the trick?

Cheers, Dima