Re: [Gimp-developer] Save/export, option to go back to old behaviour

On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 07:40:52AM +0400, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> > That's exactly what GIMP <=2.6 did (at least from a user perspective).
> > If you tried to save an image containing layers as a JPEG file, it
> > warned you that it couldn't save the layers, and prompted for what to
> > do.  That was perfectly workable.
> I don't know if you read the *-users@ list, but "the perfectly
> workable" solution has just bit yet another user in the butt.

Sure. That doesn't mean you should optimize for protecting against mistakes
like this *at the expense* of day to day use -- particularly if aiming at
professionals. (A common user experience design mistake!)

> There are people, like yourself, who think it's workable.
> There are people who absolutely hate annoying "I'm a stupid software,
> tell me what to do" dialogs .
> None of them hold the ultimate knowledge of what's right and what's wrong.

Sure. That's exactly why it'd make sense to have an option. You can eat your
cake *and* have it too.

> People who think they know what they need every single second of their
> lives are welcome to use Krita. People who don't mind a bit of
> assistance in decision-making are welcome to stick to GIMP.

That would be fine thing to say if Krita were the same kind of software, but
it is not. (Specifically, is "the full-featured painting application for
digital artists".)