Re: [Gimp-developer] Save/export, option to go back to old behaviour

I didn't read all the coments (after the discussion got a bit personal), but I think, and I'm sure I said this before, that this problem can be solved easily by:
- adding a default shortcut for Overwrite (I use CTRL+SHIFT+E for that)
- Mark the save flag after the overwrite, so GIMP doesn't ask for saving.

If you open a file to make minor tweaks and overwrite it, it's likely that you don't need to save it as XCF.
I think this would calm down all the people ranting because they can't just open their jpgs and save them back.

For the rest of the uses the separation between save and export is wise and safe.

My 2 cents,
Gez

2012/11/16 Liam R E Quin <liam holoweb net>
On Fri, 2012-11-16 at 12:04 -0500, Robert Krawitz wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Nov 2012 11:40:41 -0500, Liam R E Quin wrote:

> > If you are making use of layers, you're into GIMP territory, and into
> > the territory where saving as JPEG and losing the layers can be a
> > problem.
>
> Emphasis on *can be*.  But not always.

Of course. You can drive without seatbelts if you like. You're cleverer
than I am and more careful, and never have accidents on those short
trips. I've only been using GIMP since 1998. But there have been times
I've regretted not having layers in the saved file.

GIMP isn't about to revert the change. Use a script, or get used to
control-shift-e instead of control-shift-s.

I think it might be helpful if the gimp Save dialogue had a button to
"export instead", rather like levels has "use these settings in curves".
But I expect few if any of the developers are still reading this thread.

Liam

PS: hey, I have an MIT account too :-)