Re: [Gimp-developer] Save/export, option to go back to old behaviour

On Fri, 16 Nov 2012 11:40:41 -0500, Liam R E Quin wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-11-16 at 10:14 -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
>>  In the specific case of Gimp, I
>> don't think there's anything else that offers layers, curves, and a healing
>> brush.
>
> If you are making use of layers, you're into GIMP territory, and into
> the territory where saving as JPEG and losing the layers can be a
> problem.

Emphasis on *can be*.  But not always.

> It might be that the long-term option is a different metaphor, in which
> the journal of GEGL operations is saved at a high level, and exporting
> to jpeg is no longer lossy because of the journal. The metaphor then
> would be that the image is being sculpted, but that anything can be
> undone or redone, even between editor sessions, perhaps with (named?)
> checkpoints/version-tags you can easily revisit.

But maybe I don't care about that.  Maybe I'm creating a one-shot web
graphic, or I'm using layers to selectively modify part of the image and
am prepared to take the chance that I won't need to do anything too
significant later.

> For just levels, curves, white balance, gthumb is quite good and has
> good gnome integration.

But then I have to know two different tools to do the same thing.

I have most certainly used XCF format for a lot of bigger projects.
I've built big panoramas, and most certainly save those in XCF format,
since in many cases I do extensive work on them.  However, I've also
done things like tweaked less critical photos for web download, and the
process overhead of having to deal with two files just isn't worth it.

--
Robert Krawitz                                     <rlk alum mit edu>

MIT VI-3 1987 - Congratulations MIT Engineers men's hoops Final Four!

--Eric Crampton