Re: [Gimp-developer] Re : Feedback from an ordinary user

-- Stratadrake
strata_ranger hotmail com
--------------------

> Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 15:19:55 +0000
> From: v_cadet yahoo fr
> To: gimp-developer-list gnome org
> Subject: [Gimp-developer] Re : Feedback from an ordinary user
>

> --- En date de : Ven 16.11.12, Ali Carikcioglu <ali carik gmail com> a écrit :
>
> >Hello everyone,
> >First of all, I want to thank all developers for making this great program GIMP.
> >And I have some improvement suggestions about GIMP.
> >6) Combine Save As and Export buttons:  Click Save As and, save as jpg, is not
> >possible. I think Save As and Export serve the same purpose and can be combined.
>
> Hello Ali et al.
>
> I have the exact same concern about the save function(s). IMHO there are 5, too many of them, which most probably confuses users (I was as to the «export as» function). From what I have understood, correct me if I'm wrong:

Six, actually.  Save / Save As / Save a Copy for XCF files, Overwrite / Export / Export As for standard image formats.  (And why Overwrite and Export should be separate commands at all is a design issue I personally do not agree with.)

> "Save a copy" and both the "export" functions play the same role on the user's perspective: the working project remains "dirty".

Precisely.  I have brought this up before on the mailing list (to mixed responses), "Save a Copy" WAS the 2.6 version of "Export" so now that Export is officially a separate command "Save a Copy" is of such limited use (depending on your workflow) that there is no point in having it anymore and it could be easily combined under Export.  As noted, neither command cleans the save state of the open project so it should not be GIMP's job to mandate that you can't "export" an XCF to disk.