Re: [Gimp-developer] Save/export, option to go back to old behaviour

On Fri, 16 Nov 2012 16:56:09 +0200, Alexia Death wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 4:45 PM, Matthew Miller <mattdm mattdm org> wrote:
>> Some options have high cost and only benefit an obscure case. In *this*
>> case, the cost is relatively small (one option which is a refinement of an
>> option that's always been there) and the *reward for the project* is high.
>
> The issue is conceptual. You do not need to fire up the giant machine
> that is gimp to this little thing... GIMP is not a tool for this
> usecase. It is capable of doing it, but it will not be perfectly
> convenient. You can use a scalpel to cut bread. It will do the job,
> but it would be done better and faster with a bread knife. However you
> would not want this person cutting into your body with a breadknife,
> simply because it's unsafe. You try to make GIMP into a breadknife so
> you can more comfortably cut bread where as its intended purpose is to
> be a scalpel, a tool for thins where unsafe operations are a no-go....

This is analogous to saying "don't use emacs just to do a quick edit;
use vi for that".  Different tools have different interfaces, and I
don't want to learn two different interfaces to edit images just because
I want to "quick and dirty".

I don't want to have to adjust curves, or unsharp mask, or anything else
one way for quick and dirty editing and a different way for something
else.  It's the same operation.

I don't think Matthew wants to make GIMP into something other than what
it is.  But I don't think that an option to allow saving to a non-XCF
file is fundamentally changing GIMP, either.

--
Robert Krawitz                                     <rlk alum mit edu>

MIT VI-3 1987 - Congratulations MIT Engineers men's hoops Final Four!

--Eric Crampton