Re: [Gimp-developer] Save/export, option to go back to old behaviour

On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 05:48:45PM +0400, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> > Right, and that's fine. Put the option in "safe" by default. But right now,
> > you're punishing everyone else. Forcing that workflow choice on everyone
> > doesn't lead to a good user experience.
> "Forcing" would imply malice.

No, it simply means that you leave users with no other option.

I admire the willingness to make improvements even if doing so requires
changes to the way things have been done before. But it'd also be nice if
broader workflows could be taken into account. Here's mine:

1. Convert from RAW in other software. Save my originals there.
2. Select a dozen or so image for touchup work. Make jpg copies.
   (Occasionally, TIFF.)
3. Open all of those copies in gimp, make my adjustments (generally 5-15
   minutes of work each), and close each as I'm done.

The prompt to "export" really throws a wrench in it. The recent addition of
a note for when an image _has_ been exported is a big step forward, because
now I can at least read the fine print, but early implementations left me
keeping track by myself which images are completed.

If there were an option to not prompt when closing an exported image, I
could (as before) be comfortable in knowing that any image that closes
without prompting is safe, and that if I'm not done yet, I'll get a warning.

> What do you mean, idea? There is at least one existing fork called
> "noxcf-gimp".

Well, cool. It's a good idea.