Re: [Gimp-developer] [Demo] Porting MyPaint brush engines to the GIMP.

On Wed, 2012-05-02 at 12:43 +0300, Dima Ursu wrote:

> by the way...is gimp going to borrow some memory management from
> mypaint? I worked with  a .png of 15 000 px X 8000 px, on my computer
> with 2 gb ram,
> and it works smoothly in mypaint, but gimp eats all my ram, and all the
> swap space.

I've not had that problem, and often work with images that size or
larger. It helps to define the tile cache size (in edit/prefs) to be at
least three quarters of available memory, maybe more - e.g. I have it
set to 7 gigabytes on an 8G machine. You can also get big speedups by
going to the undo history dock and clicking on the "discard undo
history" button fairly often.

> Is Gimp going to use in the future the .ora format, or it will remain to
> the .xcf?

Don't know. I'm sure .xcf will continue to be supported as much as
possible.

Liam