Re: [Gimp-developer] Bring back normal handling of other file formats

On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 14:40:09 +0400, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

>>> And that proves exactly what? :)
>> IMHO it only shows that the split of the function is artificial in
>> nature and that the chosen command name for one of the most used
>> function (no matter what you do, you can't upload an xcf for
>> presentation on the web nor can you send in an xcf to a printer nor can
>> you do anything worthwhile with an xcf outside the very limited world of
>> the GIMP - so saving under a different format is a must for any user and
>> export isn't the first command name that comes to mind of anyone if
>> searching for this option) is ambiguous at best and progressively
>> misleading in todays environment...
>
> What you are saying is:
>
> 1. We made a clear separation between saving and exporting...
> 2... where saving means preserving all project data for internal use
> 3... and exporting means saving a new file that is typically a JPEG or
> PNG for external use.

No, "export" means the act of *sending* the image to the external
resource, not converting the format.  If a service provider accepts XCF
files directly for download, the act of transferring the file is still
an "export" by this definition.

Think in physical terms.  Transporting an object from country A to
country B is "exporting" it from country A, whether or not anything is
changed about the object (repackaging, changing the electrical plug,
etc).

--
Robert Krawitz                                     <rlk alum mit edu>

MIT VI-3 1987 - Congratulations MIT Engineers men's hoops Final Four!

--Eric Crampton