Re: [Gimp-developer] [Gimp-user] Gimp for casual users

Andreas Lemke wrote:

> I will remain silent about most of what you write except one point:

you do not have to go directly into what I wrote, but since you
insist on pushing ‘GIMP for casual users’ agenda here, it would
really help if you come clear about your usability background.

up to now I have data points about you that are all over the place:
beginners mistakes in setting up a test (and calling a single test
a study) on the one hand, on the other hand: getting interaction
concepts and using very learned words about usability.

I presented my background, can you be clear about yours?

> Am 29.07.2012 13:39, schrieb peter sikking:
>> and that test has to be an ease-of-use test, not an ease-of- learning one. I do discuss this difference with usability folks (like when Tobias Ehni got in touch with me) and they see the point, and the challenges.
>
> Clearly, there is a difference. (and it should be interesting to dig into that deeper.)
>
> I would be interested in getting the sentiment of the Gimp community on this statement. Does it mean to imply that ease-of-learning is not important for the "target user community"?

you are painting it too black and white.

let me say that in the redesign work that is being done in my team
making the learning curve more gradual _is_ a theme, all the time.

but I can also say that all the time when something gets designed
or redesigned for GIMP, the trade-offs are apparent between ease
of learning and ease of use and choices have to be made.

that are simply the facts presented to those who do the design work,
they are very enlightening.

it is clear that the choices go the way of ease of use for GIMP,
while again keeping an eye on that learning curve.

    --ps

            man + machine interface works

        http://blog.mmiworks.net: on interaction architecture