Re: [Gimp-developer] [Gimp-user] Gimp for casual users

Andreas Lemke wrote:

> I have done a simple usability study with a novice Gimp user (only one, not 1000 :-). Would it be ok if I post it on gui.gimp.org?  But I would need to have an account. There doesn't seem to be an option to register.

to be a usability study it needs to be a usability study.

this does not take 1000 participants, one-way mirror labs and
video cameras.

but the bare minimum needs to be there:

test participants recruited from the core user groups (these are well
defined for GIMP, see: <http://gui.gimp.org/index.php/Vision_briefing>)
yes, the participants can be serving their apprenticeships / be on
the learning curve to the groups defined there, but on their way
they must be.

six or more participants (not the more the better, above 12 really the
law of diminishing returns kicks in).

beyond that a solid report with a clear test protocol description
and clear outline of findings would convince me that it is really
a usability study.

usability folks know that, apart from the effort that goes into
recruiting, what I ask for above is really easy, practical
and minimal.

when really a usability study was done or will get done, we can
talk about how that can go into gui.gimp.org

    --ps

            man + machine interface works

        http://blog.mmiworks.net: on interaction architecture