Re: [Gimp-developer] gimp 2.8 prohibitively slow

On 07/19/2012 02:28 AM, wwp wrote:
even though when attempting to process image/data files
that are, say, "modern". The OP didn't mention precisely how big they
are ("trying to open large images like MyPaint encourages"), but I
presume they are way bigger than image sizes that were conventional in
the times P4 + 512Go RAM were common.

How big are they, Aaron?

MyPaint encourages large images because of the infinite canvas. It adds up pretty quickly. The largest one I was using to test gimp was 8960x9088. Just some doodles. More me testing the limits of gimp on my computer than trying to do something useful in that case. Gimp was unusably slow no matter what size image I use, but Liam's suggestions have made things much more manageable.

https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list/2012-July/msg00074.html