Re: [Gimp-developer] gimp 2.8 prohibitively slow

Hello Michael, Aaron,

On Thu, 19 Jul 2012 06:34:29 +0000 (UTC) Michael Grosberg <grosberg michael gmail com> wrote:

> Aaron Paden <aaronbpaden <at> gmail.com> writes:
>

> > So I mostly use MyPaint, but I'd like to be able to do some things in
> > gimp, too. But gimp is way too slow on this computer. Especially trying
> > to open large images like MyPaint encourages, I'll have to run to
> > another tty to try and kill the process so I can continue to use my
> > computer. I've got an old Pentium 4 with only about half a gig of RAM. A
> > bit behind the times, but especially on Linux it's generally fast enough
> > to get the job done.
> >
> > Is there anything I can do to help improve performance? I don't have
> > much experience. I doubt I could write anything any faster. But maybe I
> > can do something to help identify bottlenecks? Anything I can do to
> > help, I'm game.
> >

> You know, when you have a system that's probably 12 years old, it's good form
> to start by saying that you have one instead of complaining that an application
> developed in 2012 is "prohibitively slow". For example, you could use the subject
> line "running Gimp on an old PC". Just saying.

That's right, even though when attempting to process image/data files
that are, say, "modern". The OP didn't mention precisely how big they
are ("trying to open large images like MyPaint encourages"), but I
presume they are way bigger than image sizes that were conventional in
the times P4 + 512Go RAM were common.

How big are they, Aaron?

Regards,

--