Re: [Gimp-developer] gimp 2.8 prohibitively slow

Aaron Paden <aaronbpaden <at> gmail.com> writes:

> So I mostly use MyPaint, but I'd like to be able to do some things in
> gimp, too. But gimp is way too slow on this computer. Especially trying
> to open large images like MyPaint encourages, I'll have to run to
> another tty to try and kill the process so I can continue to use my
> computer. I've got an old Pentium 4 with only about half a gig of RAM. A
> bit behind the times, but especially on Linux it's generally fast enough
> to get the job done.
>
> Is there anything I can do to help improve performance? I don't have
> much experience. I doubt I could write anything any faster. But maybe I
> can do something to help identify bottlenecks? Anything I can do to
> help, I'm game.

You know, when you have a system that's probably 12 years old, it's good form
to start by saying that you have one instead of complaining that an application
developed in 2012 is "prohibitively slow". For example, you could use the subject
line "running Gimp on an old PC". Just saying.