Re: [Gimp-developer] how to modify precisely a guide position ?

On 01/08/12 19:03, Burnie wrote:
On 01/08/2012 07:10 AM, Ofnuts wrote:
On 01/08/2012 03:41 PM, Cristian Secară wrote:
În data de Sat, 31 Dec 2011 22:05:24 -0500, Steve Kinney a scris:

[...] If for some reason you want precise dimensions for the sections,
calculate using the DPI of the image to get linear measurements, and
use the Image> Guides> New Guide command to position guides
exactly where you want them.
Supposing I have already set a guide in the manner described above and
later want to modify the exact position entered. How can I modify the
existing guide coordinate ?

Since there is nothing attached to a guide, you can delete it and
create one at the new position.
Or just move it with the mouse and watch the position indicator at the
bottom of the screen :<)

The trouble with that is the level of control is fairly crude.

I hit this recently in the context of cropping out a section of an image. I needed a 1024x1024 for an external FFT application. Doing that with the mouse is not very realistic.

I would have liked to use the arrow keys to fine tune the selection but as soon as I let go of the mouse drag operation the dimensions of the selection are not longer displayed.

This seems like an oversight since until the selection dimensions are confirmed the co-ords need to stay up.

I ended up cutting out larger and then using ImageMagick to finish the job.

/gg