Re: [gedit-list] gedit External Tools menu is empty only when started from Activities

Hi Sébastien,

As you suggested, I created a new user for testing. I couldn't replicate the issue. The External Tools menu does show the defined tools.

Back to my user, I tried to search for any kind of log files but couldn't find any. They would definitely help.

I, also, tried to run the application using:
$ gtk-launch org.gnome.gedit.desktop

But it didn't work at all. gedit appears in the Application Menu beside the Activities button at the top bar for a couple of seconds and then disappears without opening any window.

Cleaning the ~/.config/gedit/ directory and restarting the application didn't help either.

Is there something else in my home directory that I may try to clean?

Thanks,
Paul

On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 9:16 PM, Sébastien Wilmet <swilmet gnome org> wrote:
Hi Paul,

On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 11:12:48AM +0300, Paul wrote:
> I recently upgraded to Fedora 21 from Fedora 20. When I start gedit from
> the Activities overview and navigate to the External Tools menu, it doesn't
> show any of the defined external tools (Manage External Tools, though,
> lists them correctly). However, if I start gedit from a terminal or Alt+F2
> all my external tools are shown properly. What could be a reason for such
> behavior?
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

Does it also happen with a clean home, e.g. after creating a new user?

I don't know if stdout/stderr is redirected to a log file. If it is the
case, it would be useful to find that log file, and see if there is any
warnings or errors.

But it's most probably a bug.

Sébastien