[gedit-list] Gedit side panel file browser not displaying files

Trying this now that I should be subscribed....

I'm having trouble with gedit's side panel not displaying files with a specific extension.

I have no problem opening the files in gedit either from nautilus or from the file->open, but when I navigate in the file browser browser to a folder with this extension it shows up as empty. The default "Open with" application for these files are gedit, and when I follow these instructions:

http://superuser.com/questions/194091/why-wont-gedit-file-browser-plugin-show-files

they do show up in the file browser pane along with all other  non-text files that just clutters the side pane.

I tried posting something like this to my OS's support forums but nobody has responded.  For what it's worth I am using gedit 3.4.1.

This shouldn't be that hard to restore the configuration I had before. But of course uninstalling and reinstalling gedit and nautilus via apt-get doesn't help. I wasn't having this problem before, I seemed to have accidently clicked to open a file with this extension from nautilus once using a different program. Ever since then, all these files have been missing from the side pane.