Re: [gedit-list] Plugin custom highlighter

On 2013-01-15 17:31, Pander wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to have a custom hightlighter plugin for gedit. Perhaps
> something already exists or other people are interested in helping
> develop it.
>
> In short, it would do the following:
> - highlight words which are in custom lists
> - these lists are stored in ~/.config/gedit/custom-highlight
> - this highlighting will be overruling standard syntax highlighting
> - each list of words can have custom highlighting:
>   - font color
>   - background color
>   - regular/bold/italic/bolditalic
> - each list can be language specific (use spell check language)
>
> Rationale: this custom highlighting can be a writing aid to:
>
> 1) Warn for certain know writing errors (independent of spelling and
> grammar checking) mainly in proper names not supported by these
> checkers. Also to detect these mistakes in documents created by others.
>
> 2) Warn for words a user know he or she uses too often and want to keep
> track of. For example, I tend to use the word 'also' a lot. Each time I
> have to search my text for occurrences and rewrite it to use 'too' or
> another contrustion. I would like to be notified for each time is use
> that word. Similarly, I like to be notified for usage of words such as
> therefore, nevertheless, despite, however, albeit, and alike. Preloaded
> lists of this kind can be offered with the plugin.
>
> Who sees the added value of these wishes and would like to help me?

Example config file :~/.config/gedit/gedit-custom-highlighter

[Custom Highlighter]
;
; when optional setting is not specified, use currently active highlighting
;
; first example
; language, required
chl-lang-1=en_US
; word, required
chl-words-1-1=colour
; font color, optional
chl-color-1-1=black
; background color, optional
chl-bgcolor-1-1=yellow
; font style, optional: regular, bold, italic or bolditalic
chl-font-1-1=bold
;
; second example
; all English languages e.g. en_GB, en_US, ...
chl-lang-2=en
chl-words-2-1=neccessary
; color code
chl-color-2-1=#000000
chl-bgcolor-2-1=#FF00FF
; lower and upper case in font style
chl-font-2-1=Regular
;
; third example
chl-lang-3=nl
; multiple words separated with pipe character
chl-words-3-1=Jansen|Janssen
chl-color-3-1=#000000
; lower and upper case in color code
chl-bgcolor-3-1=#ff00FF
chl-font-3-1=italic
chl-words-3-2=Piet|Kees
chl-color-3-2=#fF0000
chl-font-3-1=bolditalic
; default color and default font for next
chl-words-3-3=Anna|Clara
; lower and upper case in color name
chl-bgcolor-3-3=Blue