Re: [gedit-list] gedit - questions

At 13:48 +0200 10/27/10, Jesse van den Kieboom wrote:
On Oct 26, 2010, at 8:27 PM, <mailto:alb348 gmail com>alb348 gmail com wrote:
>> 1) is gedit programmable (macros, text processing, etc)? If so, what scripting languages can be used?

> Yes, you can write plugins in python or C. Also there are an existing number of plugins which provide more high-level extendibility (like snippets or external tools).
***

That extenal tools plugin makes gedit accessible to any scripting language that you could call from a shell. I'm not sure if it is intended behavior but gedit doesn't mind at all if an external tool opens the underlying file, already open in gedit, and makes extensive changes.

In most cases the tool can return control in a way that  asks gedit to replace all or partial content but for severe things, like a cron job that just happens, gedit just takes note that a change in the file has occurred and asks if you want to reload the replacement.

If you start up gedit from a login shell your progile or .tcshrc files can set up environment variables that are passed on to you external tools.

Yes, I miss Applescript and there aren't, yet, any usable callbacks. But there are hints about that, dbus, that are not yet documented.

--

-->  Halloween  == Oct 31 == Dec 25 == Christmas  <--