Re: [gedit-list] gedit - questions

On Oct 26, 2010, at 8:27 PM, alb348 gmail com wrote:

Hi guys,

Cheers, you are doing a wonderful job with gedit.

I have a couple of questions to ask:

1) is gedit programmable (macros, text processing, etc)? If so, what scripting languages can be used?

Yes, you can write plugins in python or C. Also there are an existing number of plugins which provide more high-level extendibility (like snippets or external tools).

2) a
re you planning to port gedit to Minix? As you might know, the Minix operating system is gaining momentum and is becoming more and more interesting. You may want to have a look here, to get an idea:     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bx3KuE7UjGA

This is not really our job. We try to be as portable as possible, in particular for unix systems, but in the end it's up to a distribution to be able to compile and run gedit. gedit is heavily dependent on the gnome infrastructure (things like glib, gtk+, gvfs) and cannot be decoupled. We are happy to receive bugs and/or patches to make things more portable if needed, but we are not going to actively try and make gedit work on different linux flavours by ourselves.

Jesse

Thanks.

Alby