Re: [gedit-list] Syntax Highlighting

Hello John,

in this case, there has been a change in the politics. I remember to have had a gedit version with
the capability of setting the syntax highlighting. It was then removed.

I looked through different forums and found the described politics as a reason for that (which may
of cause be not really true). In the gnome-screensaver (which I gave as an example for this
politics) FAQ I found this:

Why doesn't the screensaver preferences tool allow me to change the settings for the theme?

We are trying to take a different approach. A gnome-screensaver theme is not directly equivalent
to the xscreensaver concept of a "hack". Each gnome-screensaver theme is a combination of a
"hack" (or theme engine) and a set of options. This is quite a different design. So, perhaps, a
better question is how does one create a new theme for a pre-existing theme engine? For that
please see the related section in this FAQ.

They explain the reasons (which are all minor compared to the introduced difficulties) below that.

If I misunderstood the reasons for removing the syntax highlighting GUI and/or mixed them up with the gnome-screensaver arguments, I'm sorry for that.

Regarding the fixing of the GTK+ problem:
Unfortunately, this fix has not been available in Debian Squeeze. I hope they will update the corresponding packages, soon. But thanks for mentioning this!

Cheers,
Andreas

Jesse van den Kieboom schrieb:
Andreas Tepe wrote:
Hello John,

yes, the problem is known and probably not a gedit problem.

I got this answer about it:

Hi,

this is a problem in gtk itself, so until it gets fixed there we can't make anything about
that.

Regards.
I think this was recently fixed in gtk+ though.
There are also some other issues, like the impossibility of defining the syntax highlighting
colors in a GUI (like it was possible in former times), but this is because of some very stupid
gnome politics not allowing the users to change anything anymore unless they are not willing to
mess around with style files.

The argumentation behind is that any user could create a nice style file and shares it with the
world. This is as far from reality as it can be...
This is not the argumentation actually. We want to provide an interface for this, but it's not a
trivial interface to design (in particular due to the flexibility of the new format over the old
format) and we decided to put priorities elsewhere for now.

Please try to keep to constructive arguments, rather than throwing around statements such as
'very stupid gnome politics'.
You would be surprised (if you don't know yet already) how many nice settings screen savers
have when using xscreensaver instead of the gnome-screensaver. (But you would also be surprised
how difficult the gnome people it made to deactivate the gnome-screensaver...)

Cheers, Andreas

John Pye schrieb:
This bug has bothered me too, but I never worked out exactly what was happening. Is this a
known and reported problem already?

Bug is still present on Ubuntu 9.10.

Cheers JP

Andreas Tepe wrote:
I really like gedit (except the bug that copying with the middle mouse button click causes
a jump to the original text)

--
*********
* Andreas Tepe